Unclaimed IRS Tax Refund

Many people across the country have failed to claim their IRS tax refund.

To check on the status of the refund, a person can log on to the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov.

Then, log on to "Where's My Refund?" feature on IRS.gov will display the status of a refund and, in some cases, provide instructions on how to resolve potential account issues. Taxpayers whose undeliverable check was originally issued within the past 12 months will be prompted online to provide an updated mailing address.

To use "Where's My Refund?", a taxpayer must enter a Social Security number, filing status (such as single or married filing jointly) and the refund amount shown on the taxpayer's 2005 tax return.

Taxpayers can also access a telephone version of "Where's My Refund?" by calling 1-800-829-1954. Callers with undelivered refund checks will receive instructions on next steps.

The address update feature is only available to taxpayers using the Web version of "Where's My Refund?"

To put an end to undelivered refunds, taxpayers can take advantage of Direct Deposit. Taxpayers who choose this service receive their refunds directly into a personal checking or savings account. Direct Deposit, which also guards against theft or lost refund checks, is available for filers of both paper and electronic returns.

A taxpayer can also ensure the IRS has his or her correct address by filing Form 8822, Change of Address. Download the form from IRS.gov or request it by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).

Other Usefull Tax Articles

Most Viewed Articles